Trevi Fountain (Italian: Fontana di Trevi) is a fountain in the Trevidistrict in Rome, Italy, designed by Italian architect Nicola Salvi and completed by Pietro Bracci. Standing 26.3 metres (86 ft) high and 49.15 metres (161.3 ft) wide, it is the largest Baroque fountain in the city and one of the most famous fountains in the world. The fountain has appeared in several notable films, including Federico Fellini‘s La Dolce Vita, and is a popular tourist attraction.
The Via del Corso (ancient Via Lata, the urban stretch of Via Flaminia), is a main street in the historical centre of Rome. It is remarkable for being absolutely straight in an area characterized by narrow meandering alleys and small piazzas. Considered a wide street in ancient times, today the Corso is approximately 10 metres wide, and it only has room for two lanes of traffic and two narrow sidewalks. The northern portion of the street is a pedestrian area. The length of the street is roughly 1.5 kilometres.
Via Condotti (officially Via dei Condotti) is a busy and fashionable street of Rome, Italy. In Roman times it was one of the streets that crossed the ancient Via Flaminia and enabled people who transversed the Tiber to reach the Pincio hill. It begins at the foot of the Spanish steps and is named after conduits or channels which carried water to the Baths of Agrippa. Today, it is the street which contains the greatest number of Rome-based Italian fashion retailers, equivalent to Milan‘s Via Montenapoleone,Paris‘ Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, Florence‘s Via de’ Tornabuoni or London‘sBond Street.
The Stadio Olimpico is the main and largest sports facility of Rome, Italy. It is located within the Foro Italico sports complex, north of the city. An asset of theItalian National Olympic Committee, the structure is intended primarily forfootball. It is the home stadium of Serie A clubs Lazio and Roma, and the venue of the Coppa Italia final. The stadium was rebuilt for the 1990 FIFA World Cup, and hosted the final. A UEFA category four stadium, it has also hosted fourEuropean Cup finals, the most recent being the 2009 UEFA Champions League Final. Outside football, the stadium is used by the Italian national rugby union team and is Italy’s national athletics stadium. It also occasionally hosts concerts of some international artists and bands.
Foro Italico, formerly Foro Mussolini, is a sports complex in Rome, Italy. It was built between 1928 and 1938 as the Foro Mussolini (literally Mussolini‘s Forum) under the design of Enrico Del Debbio and, later, Luigi Moretti. Inspired by the Roman forums of the imperial age, its design is lauded as a preeminent example of Italian Fascist architecture instituted by Mussolini.
The Stadio Olimpico del Nuoto (Olympic Swimming Stadium) is an aquatics centre at the Foro Italico in Rome, Italy. Inaugurated in 1959, it was designed by the architects Enrico Del Debbio and Aniballe Vitellozzi to host the swimming, diving,water polo, and swimming portion of the modern pentathlon events for the 1960 Summer Olympics.
Auditorium Parco della Musica is a large multi-functional public music complex in Rome, Italy. The complex is situated in the north of the city, in the area where the 1960 Summer Olympic Games were held.
Parco della Musica was designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano. Jürgen Reinhold from Müller-BBM was in charge of acoustics in the three concert halls; Franco Zagari was landscape architect for the outdoor spaces.
St. Peter’s Square (Italian: Piazza San Pietro, Latin: Forum Sancti Petri,pronounced [ˌpi̯aʦa san ˈpi̯ɛːtɾo]) is a massive plaza located directly in front of St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican City, the papal enclave inside Rome, directly west of the neighbourhood or rione of Borgo.
At the centre of the square is an Egyptian obelisk, erected at the current site in 1586.Gian Lorenzo Bernini designed the square almost 100 years later, including the massive Tuscan colonnades, four columns deep, which embrace visitors in “the maternal arms of Mother Church.” A granite fountain constructed by Bernini in 1675 matches another fountain designed by Carlo Maderno in 1613.
he Mausoleum of Hadrian, usually known as Castel Sant’Angelo (English: Castle of the Holy Angel), is a towering cylindrical building in Parco Adriano, Rome, Italy. It was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum. The Castel was once the tallest building in Rome.
Piazza del Popolo is a large urban square in Rome. The name in modern Italian literally means “People’s Square”, but historically it derives from the poplars (populus in Latin, pioppo in Italian) after which the church of Santa Maria del Popolo, in the northeast corner of the piazza, takes its name.
The piazza lies inside the northern gate in the Aurelian Walls, once the Porta Flaminia of ancient Rome, and now called the Porta del Popolo. This was the starting point of the Via Flaminia, the road to Ariminum (modern-day Rimini) and the most important route to the north. At the same time, before the age of railroads, it was the traveller’s first view of Rome upon arrival. For centuries, the Piazza del Popolo was a place for public executions, the last of which took place in 1826.
The Pantheon (/ˈpænθiən/ or US /ˈpænθiɒn/; Latin: Pantheon) is a building in Rome,Italy, commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD) and rebuilt by the emperor Hadrian about 126 AD.
The building is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns (eight in the first rank and two groups of four behind) under a pediment. A rectangular vestibule links the porch to therotunda, which is under a coffered concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon’s dome is still the world’s largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 43.3 metres (142 ft).
It is one of the best-preserved of all Ancient Roman buildings. It has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a Roman Catholic church dedicated to “St. Mary and the Martyrs” but informally known as “Santa Maria Rotonda.” The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda.
The Via dei Fori Imperiali (formerly Via dell’Impero) is a road in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy, that runs in a straight line from the Piazza Venezia to the Colosseum. Its course takes it over parts of the Forum of Trajan, Forum of Augustus and Forum of Nerva, parts of which can be seen on both sides of the road. Since the 1990s, there has been a great deal of archeological excavation on both sides of the road, as significant Imperial Roman relics remain to be found underneath it.
The Colosseum or Coliseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre (Latin:Amphitheatrum Flavium; Italian: Anfiteatro Flavio or Colosseo) is an elliptical amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Built of concrete and stone, it was the largest amphitheatre of the Roman Empire, and is considered one of the greatest works of Roman architecture and engineering. It is the largest amphitheatre in the world.
The Capitoline Hill (/ˈkæpɨtəlaɪn/ or /kəˈpɪtɵlaɪn/; Latin: Collis Capitōlīnus), between the Forum and the Campus Martius, is one of the seven hills of Rome. It was the citadel(equivalent of the ancient Greek acropolis) of the earliest Romans. By the 16th century,Capitolinus had become Capitolino in Italian, with the alternative Campidoglio stemming fromCapitolium, one of the three major spurs of the Capitolinus (the others being Arx and Tarpeius). The English word capitol derives from Capitoline. The Capitoline contains few ancient ground-level ruins, as they are almost entirely covered up by Medieval and Renaissance palaces (now housing the Capitoline Museums) that surround a piazza, a significant urban plan designed byMichelangelo.
The Baths of Caracalla (Italian: Terme di Caracalla) in Rome, Italy, were the second largest Roman public baths, or thermae, built in Rome between AD 212 and 216, during the reign of the Emperor Caracalla. Chris Scarre provides a slightly longer construction period 211-217 AD. They would have had to install over 2,000 tons of material every day for six years in order to complete it in this time. Records show that the idea for the baths were drawn up by Septimius Severus, and merely completed or opened in the lifetime of Caracalla. This would allow for a longer construction timeframe. They are today a tourist attraction
Porta Portese is an ancient city gate, located at the end of Via Portuense, where it meets Via Porta Portese, about a block from the banks of the Tiber in the southern edge of the Rione Trastavere of Rome, Italy.
The gate was built in 1644 as part of the Janiculum Walls which replaced the Porta Portuensis. The gate and walls were built by Vincenzo Maculani; commissioned by Pope Urban VIII. Just outside the gate, a large arsenal was erected by Clement XI starting from 1714.
A popular flea market is held every Sunday in the area of Porta Portese.
Trastevere is the 13th rione of Rome, on the west bank of the Tiber, south of Vatican City. Its name comes from the Latin trans Tiberim, meaning literally “beyond the Tiber”. The correct pronunciation is [trasˈteːvere], with the accent on the second syllable. Its logo is a golden head of a lion on a red background, the meaning of which is uncertain. To the north, Trastevere borders on to the XIV rione,Borgo.
In the “Municipio” there are a lot of green areas, the principal are: the Natural Reserve of the Insugherata, the urban Regional Park of the Pineto, the Natural Monument “Quarto degli Ebrei – Tenuta di Mazzalupetto”.
The Agostino Gemelli Teaching Hospital (Italian: Policlinico Universitario Agostino Gemelli) is a large general hospital of 1,850 beds in Rome, Italy. It serves as the teaching hospital for the medical school of the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (the largest privately owned university in Italy, founded in 1921 in Milan), and owes its name to the university founder, the Franciscan friar, physician and psychologistAgostino Gemelli.
It was the greeting used by the ancient Romans during a toast to wish “still great success” in life, love, work. It is also the wish to all of you who visit the site and that you will stay in this Bed & Breakfast, located on the first floor of an elegant and quiet building, with lift, in the center of Rome, in Prati-Vatican area, very strategic for those who want to visit Rome and for those who must stay not only for tourism. From B&B are near: Rai, Theaters , Auditorium della Musica, Courts, Corte dei Conti (URP), Universities (La Sapienza, Lumsa, Università Cattolica A. Gemelli, ecc), Hospitals ( Oftalmico, S. Spirito, Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesù, San Carlo di Nancy, IDI, Gemelli), Private clinics ( San Giuseppe, Santa Rita da Cascia, Villa Stuart), Stadiums (Olimpico, Flaminio, Stadio dei Marmi). Vatican Museums , Via Ottaviano, Via Cola di Rienzo (for the shopping), Basilica of Saint Peter , Via della Conciliazione, Castel S. Angelo, Ponte S. Angelo, the historic center of Rome: Corso Vittorio Emanuele, Campo de’ Fiori, Piazza Navona, Largo Argentina, Phanteon.